Thais Write
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A supposedly uneventful errand ...

3 posters

Go down

A supposedly uneventful errand ... Empty A supposedly uneventful errand ...

Post by Chav Fri Nov 18, 2016 4:20 pm

admin ขอประเดิมเขียน post แรกของ forum นี้เลยนะครับ

The other day I was taking a taxi from my home to a nearby supermarket in western part of Bangkok when I saw a scene that would make me feel ill at ease for the rest of the day. It was a routine trip, something I did every week, so I didn't pay attention to the traffic and was pretty much in a lull when the driver suddenly made a noise and moved his hand about. When asked what happened, the driver said he saw a man on the pedestrian overpass that the car just went under. The man was pacing back and forth, acting like he was about to jump. I looked back but saw nothing, since the car was already some distance away. I made no comment, but the driver murmured on, convinced that the guy was going to jump sooner or later.

During that time, the car was heading in the opposite direction of my destination to make a U-turn. That meant in a few minutes we would circle back to the same spot. Anticipating another chance to confirm what he thought, the driver's eyes were fixated ahead. I wasn't sure what to expect.

When we got near the overpass, the driver cried out, undoubtedly because he just saw something. I sat on the back seat and couldn't see through the windshield very well. But just as the car drove away from the overpass, I turned my head back and, for a split second, saw a shape of a man whooshing down, hands and legs spread as though he were a skydiver.

I was stunned. That mid-air image was the only thing I saw as the jumper was on the other side of the street divided by a row of trees at least a meter tall. We didn't stop. The car kept moving and the driver kept on babbling about what just happened. I made a mental note to find out more once I got home. When I did, I immediately turned on my computer and checked some online news websites. I found nothing. Only after some Google searches did a single news report come up. It was posted on some traffic news website, not a news story so much as a footnote, with the barest of information: "An unidentified male jumped off a pedestrian overpass near Nongkhaem Mall. He is now in critical condition."

http://www.js100.com/en/site/post_share/view/32993

Chav
Admin

https://thais-write.board-directory.net

Back to top Go down

A supposedly uneventful errand ... Empty Re: A supposedly uneventful errand ...

Post by CompoundInterest Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:06 pm

Hi. My first one! Just to throw in some comments and observations to kick this ball rolling...
--

The other day I was taking a taxi from my home to a nearby supermarket in western part of Bangkok when I saw a scene that would make me feel ill at ease for the rest of the day.

[1] "nearby supermarket in western part of Bangkok" --> "in the western part"?
[2] "would make me feel ill at ease for the rest of the day" --> "ill at least for"?

It was a routine trip, something I did every week, so I didn't pay attention to the traffic and was pretty much in a lull when the driver suddenly made a noise and moved his hand about.

[3] "something I did every week" --> "do" To describe things that happen in the regular, it normally goes with the present tense.
[4] "I didn't pay attention to the traffic" --> I feel "pay any attention" sounds more natural.
[5] "in a lull" --> Cool! I never used this idiom before.
[6] "moved his hand about" --> I think in the US, it's more common to use "around".
CompoundInterest
CompoundInterest

Back to top Go down

Post by Chav Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:20 pm

ขอบคุณที่แนะนำครับ ผมเขียนพลาดไปหลายจุดจริงๆ ([1][3][4])

ส่วน ill at ease นี่ตามลิงค์นี่เลยครับ

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/ill+at+ease

Chav
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by CompoundInterest Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:23 pm

Chav wrote:ขอบคุณที่แนะนำครับ ผมเขียนพลาดไปหลายจุดจริงๆ ([1][3][4])

ส่วน ill at ease นี่ตามลิงค์นี่เลยครับ  

Wow! Thanks. Like I said, we learn something new everyday!
CompoundInterest
CompoundInterest

Back to top Go down

Post by NaiDui Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:07 pm

Thank you for all the trouble you must have had to go through to start this website. Hope there will be sufficient participation to make it very successful. We do need a website that is geared towards the more advanced users of English.

I have two comments in regards to the previous corrections.

1) I don’t believe ‘would make me feel ill at ease for the rest of the day’ needs to be modified. If it is changed to ‘would make me feel ill at least for the rest of the day’, the word ‘at least’ would seem to imply that the narrator did not know how long he felt ill.

2) Changing ‘something I did every week’ to ‘something I do every week’ implies that the speaker still makes that trip weekly. If he used ‘did’ and did not change it to ‘do’, then the reader has the feeling that the speaker no longer makes the trip, possibly because of the attempted suicide.

By the way, the word อนุญาต should be spelled without the vowel ‘อิ’ unlike the word ‘ญาติ’, otherwise it means minor relatives, if there is such a thing.

NaiDui

Back to top Go down

Post by Chav Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:26 pm

ขอบคุณ Naidui ที่แนะนำครับ ผมไปแก้คำว่าอนุญาตเรียบร้อยแล้วครับ

พึ่งทำ webboard ตรงนี้ขี้นมาไม่กี่วัน ไม่รู้ว่าจะมีใครมาฝึกเขียนกันมากน้อยแค่ไหน แต่ยังไงผมตั้งใจว่าจะเขียนลงตรงนี้เรื่อยๆเป็นประจำ เขียนอยู่คนเดียวก็ไม่เป็นไร

Chav
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum